Since 1911, the mission of Holyoke Credit Union has been to provide members with high-quality, affordable financial products and services in a socially responsible manner. By adhering to our mission, we have grown by leaps and bounds to become one of the leading financial institutions in western Massachusetts. We are now looking for hardworking, talented, and dedicated individuals to help us continue to grow. If you have these attributes and would like to join an organization dedicated to its members, employees, and communities, please contact Holyoke Credit Union.
A future you can bank on!
Holyoke Credit Union offers a competitive salary, excellent advancement opportunities, an outstanding benefit package, and the nicest co-workers you’ll find anywhere!
Small Business Lending Officer
Position Title: Small Business Lending Officer
Division/Department: Commercial Banking/Commercial Lending
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under the direction of the Chief Lending Officer, this position is responsible for maintaining an existing commercial loan portfolio, while originating new commercial relationships for the Credit Union. The role requires a close working relationship with Holyoke Credit Union’s Commercial Services Division, as well as Retail Banking and other business lines across the Credit Union to develop, manage, and grow the small business portfolio. Additionally, the Small Business Loan Officer is expected to actively cross-sell the services of the Credit Union, particularly business deposit relationships, lending and related commercial services. The position requires the ability to independently originate, structure, and underwrite Commercial Real Estate and C&I loans, however, the Small Business Lending Officer will be fully supported by the Commercial Services Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Originates new profitable Commercial Real Estate and C&I loan relationships commensurate with the origination goals of the Credit Union.
- With limited assistance, manages an existing commercial loan portfolio of Small Business Credit relationships and provides excellent service to all clients with concentration in the Credit Union lending area. Loan portfolio management shall include preparation of detailed call memos, evaluating loan documentation, assessing action plans, and at times identifying high-risk credits for transfer to the Credit Manager.
- Analyzes the credit history of applicants, evaluates potential customer loan requests, and makes approval recommendations within Loan Authority limits.
- Negotiates credit terms, such as costs, loan repayment methods and collateral specifications within Loan Policy guidelines.
- Must understand and keep abreast of the economic condition of the market (competition, demographics, etc.)
- Develops and maintains interest rate structure to be consistent with credit union policies and procedures, and to be competitive with current market rates.
- Reviews new laws and regulations that influence small business lending within the credit union when necessary.
- Participates in community activities to develop new business and establish goodwill within the community.
- Provides referrals to other areas of the Credit Union for cross-selling opportunities. This requires good communication skills as well as the ability to work jointly with other department heads.
- Must have a thorough understanding of all Credit Union products and services as well as knowledge of all related banking and compliance laws.
- Responsible for building long-lasting relationships with members, the community and colleagues.
- Other job duties, as assigned.
This position does not supervise any employees.
Knowledge and Skills
It is required that the employee in this position can work independently, interpreting ideas and facts, while also analyzing and interpreting federal and state laws and/or regulations. This employee should have strong customer service and sales skills, as well as strong written communication skills and the ability to make effective presentations in a group setting. Employees with exceptional verbal and numerical aptitudes are preferred.
This position requires intermediate knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Outlook, and Word. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Power Point is also necessary. Knowledge of deposit and loan products and industry-standard services is also required.
Education and Work Experience
A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Finance/Accounting or other business-related field is required. Formal credit training is preferred. Three to five years of experience in at least one of the following areas is required: small business lending with full underwriting responsibilities, commercial credit or commercial lending portfolio management.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
This position is in an office environment, which means the physical surroundings are generally pleasant and comfortable with minimal exposure to injury or other hazards, with a moderate level of noise. Prolonged periods of sitting and looking at a computer screen with freedom of movement on a regular basis is expected. Minimal physical effort is required but could include: repetitive motion of wrists and fingers; talking and hearing; and handling of light materials and supplies. This position will require frequent travel between offices and customer sites.
Job Type: Full-time
- Portfolio Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Formal Credit Training: 1 year (Preferred)
- Commercial Lending: 3 years (Preferred)
- Commercial Credit Analysis: 3 years (Preferred)
- Small Business Lending: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Three (3) branch locations with frequent travel within the communities served.
Competitive base salary plus incentives for production in a variety of areas offered with benefits including:
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
Send or fax resume to:
Holyoke Credit Union
490 Westfield Road
Holyoke, MA 01040
Fax: (413) 533-3810
Or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org